This week on the foundation course, we were given the brief for moving image. The task was to create a stop motion animation which would portray the morphing of various objects. This would become my first stop motion animation so I found it really interesting to learn some new skills.
Firstly, we had to draw a simplified version of an object we had brought in. Mine was a Russian doll, which I chose because I thought that being able to transform the Russian doll could allow various possibilities to animate the object. This first drawing would become the first frame in my animation.
Then we had to trace the first drawing from the person to the right of us. This would become the last frame of my animation and would show the final transformation of my object’s morphing process. Also, this would allow a variety of smaller animations to come together to create a longer animation of various objects morphing into different objects.
Next, I had to create a mid-point. This would be the frame right in the middle of my first and last frame and would show the combination of both objects before my Russian doll fully transformed into the bottle.
To carry on with my animation, I used a method called ‘in-betweening’. This means that you continue to draw frames in between frame 1 and the mid-point, then in between the mid-point and the last frame and so forth. This allows you to add in more frames with ease and means that you’ll be able to always have an ending to the animation, even if there aren’t the desired amount of frames.
I gradually continued to add in frames before I had a total of 25. These were then used to make an animation using Dragonframe software. This worked by taking a photo of each frame and then using the Dragonframe software to adjust the times of each frame and turn them into an animation. Each frame was 1/12th of a second, so they were very fast.
After everyone’s animation had been transformed onto the Dragon frame software, they were all connected to produce a longer animation.
I was really impressed with how the final animation turned out. Everyone’s contributions were so diverse and random which all complemented each other. To improve I would really like to experiment with colour and also add a soundtrack which would complement the unexpected and weird nature of the animation.